We need your JS /HTML/CSS superpowers to develop a pinboard-meets-notes-meets-file-browser ChromeOS app running on the Google Pixelbook. You’ll be writing code in TypeScript using React and WebAssembly.
Ink & Switch is an industrial research lab for digital tools. We run experiments in domains such as science notebooks, end-user programming, digital drawing, and team collaboration.
Our team is all-remote. We’re highly collaborative and optimize for learning.
About the project
The lab consists of 8 people in total. Your subteam will be four people: a designer, a project lead (and part-time engineer), another part-time engineer and a lead engineer (that's you).
- very knowledgeable about toolchains such as npm, babel, gulp, webpack, etc.
- passionate about user experience and beautiful products
- comfortable with standard distributed team tools like GitHub and Slack
- a strong communicator in written and spoken English (ESL is welcome)
- intellectually curious
Bonus if you:
- enjoy building tools (such as text editors or spreadsheets) vs consumer products or websites
- have experience with TypeScript
- have experience building desktop apps with Electron, building ChromeOS apps or PWAs
- have experience with touch and stylus UIs (we’ll be having some fun with gesture-driven interfaces and looking into something like this)
- have experience with React
- are a productivity nerd that loves using tools to get things done, maybe even have built productivity tools yourself
Your responsibilities on this project:
- own the codebase for the tablet+stylus app
- work closely with designer on a great-feeling UI
- work closely with other teams in the lab to integrate our storage and syncing engine
- help out on codebases for companion apps (desktop, phone, browser extension)
- own build distribution: quickly and painlessly get new versions to tester
- 2-6 month project. Initial 2-month freelance contract starting in August, if we work well together we’ll likely want to extend the contract for the entire length of the project
- $1000 – $2000/week depending on skills and experience
- team core hours from noon to 3pm US East time
- join our team summit in a nice mediterranean location in October
- collaborate with Slack, Github, Trello, Google Docs