Freelance web designer for new site
We're seeking a web designer for a short gig to create a new site for our research lab. It's not going to be yet another Medium blog :)
Ink & Switch is an industrial research lab for digital tools. We run experiments in domains such as science notebooks, end-user programming, digital drawing, and team collaboration.
Until now we've been in learning mode, only publishing a few things (some examples). Now we're ready to share more results — that's where you come in.
About the project
The core of this project is designing the lab's new site in HTML and CSS. The site will be minimal and focused: a home/about page, a series of articles, and eventually video content.
This work will include designing e.g. the information architecture, page layouts, and typography, all responsive to different devices. You'll also work with authors at the lab to design patterns for our multimedia articles to best take advantage of the web (with inline images, vector graphics, videos, linked footnotes, etc.)
The site will be published to S3 or a similar static file hosting setup, so we won't need to worry much about toolchains or CMSs for this project.
We're dissatisfied with the state of off-the-shelf web tools (Medium, Wordpress) and want to work with a designer with ambitions to push towards something that works better for readers: more elegant designs, faster load times, and more information density.
- An experienced web designer
- Can implement your designs in static HTML / CSS
- Comfortable with standard distributed team tools like GitHub and Slack
- A strong communicator in written and spoken English (ESL is welcome)
Your responsibilities on this project
- Design the new site and implement corresponding static HTML / CSS
- Partner with the lab on designing and shipping the first articles on the site
- Determine the design patterns we'll use for future multimedia articles on the site
- Design fundamentals like layout, type, and color
- Responsive layouts
- Reading experiences that have minimal chrome, put the content first, and respect the reader
- Fast-loading sites
- $3000 fixed budget to design an awesome site (we expect this to take about two weeks)
- Flexible hours, provided you can join some calls 12p – 3p US Eastern time
- Work from wherever you want